[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 03 June 2014

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Mon Jun 16 11:11:18 EST 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Chris Neugebauer <chrisjrn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just thought I'd chime in and explain better the nature of the
> discussion the council had:
>
> - I received some personal correspondence on this topic that I
> forwarded from council.
> - We did not discuss LCA being an exclusively peer-reviewed
> conference, as that would substantially change the nature of the
> conference, in a way that's probably not relevant to a lot of LA
> speakers.
> - We discussed other options, including optional peer review for
> people who would benefit from it (people from academic institutions
> for instance).
>
> None of these discussions progressed very far, and we neither have any
> concrete proposals, or intentions to change anything right now. If
> anything were to happen along these lines, there'd be a definite need
> to balance what LCA is now and the community that it serves, and any
> change towards peer review.

So to chip in - we've offered peer review previously, at least once or
twice in the past 10 years, and it wasn't really taken up.

I don't personally believe it's the right fit for linux.conf.au - academic
peer-reviewed conferences and LCA optimise for different things.  LCA is
all about code-first, up to the minute progress, slide-deck and no formal
writeup; whereas academic conferences are more about completeness, and
written results.

Michael Davies   michael at the-davies.net
Rackspace Australia