[Linux-aus] Chromecast on a Billion router

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 18:39:42 EST 2014

G'day.

I recently acquired a Google Chromecast (thanks to Chris Smart) and I'm
having issues with it on my home wireless network. Again thanks to Chris, I
have swapped out the Chromecast for a new one, but that didn't fix it.

The issue is that after initial installation and setup via my Nexus 5
phone, I can stream video via the Chromecast and all is well. If I use the
TV for something else for a while or come back the next day, my phone's
Chromecast App can't find the Chromecast, nor can 'cast enabled apps like
YouTube find it. It's as if it isn't there, but on the TV, it's still
displaying pretty screensaver-like images and my router shows it as being
connected.

So my router is a Billion BiPAC 7401VGP which is conspicuously absent from
Google's list-of-routers-that-do-or-don't-work-with-chromecast:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/3477832?hl=en-AU

I have sniffed around the router's settings and found two things:

1. Its time zone was still Adelaide (thanks Internode!). Fixed and didn't
help. :)
2. IGMP snooping was disabled and some advice said its needed for multicast.

These things haven't helped.

Ideally I would love to hear from someone who has divined the necessary
incantation to get my router working happily with a Chromecast, but failing
that, recommendations for a solid ADSL modem / router / wifi AP / VOIP box
that would usefully replace the Billion.

TIA.

--
crash