[Linux-aus] Suggestions for best approach/language for this scenario

Daniel Bryan danbryan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:06:46 EST 2014

Avi,

I suggest Go [1] as the implementation language.

Advantages it has a new language:

* garbage collection
* simple, familiar syntax and semantics
* a large, well-documented standard library [2]
* an interactive tour for learning the language [3]
* an active and helpful community

Reasons I think it's good for your project:

* lightweight coroutines ("goroutines") providing language-level support
for multi-threading - much simpler and more natural than writing threaded
code in (for example) Python and C
* a very good socket API
* a solid HTTP client API (for submitting your RESTful requests)

I've been using Go professionally for about two years now and it's
drastically simplified a number of networked projects that I've worked on.

Happy to discuss more off list if you have more questions about it.

[1] http://golang.org
[2] http://golang.org/pkg/
[3] http://golang.org/pkg/