[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au 2014 Financials

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Sun Jun 1 18:58:28 EST 2014

On 1 June 2014 16:54, Jessica Smith <jessica at itgrrl.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Joshua Hesketh <president at linux.org.au>
> And I guess that an obvious follow-up question is to ask if a team bidding
> on running an LCA feels that the only way they can run it is to outsource a
> significant amount of the work to a commercial events manager (with the
> inevitable overheads that will generate), should the committee award them
> the bid? Additional oversight and a supporting sub-committee may not be
> enough to offset that fundamental risk.

FWIW, I didn't see any evidence that the events manager was an
additional risk -- from what I saw they delivered what the LCA team
expected. They're obviously an additional expense, and they're also an
additional thing to manage, both of which are trade offs compared to
the volunteer time that would otherwise have to be spent.