[Linux-aus] Kiwi PyCon 2014: Tutorials

Tom Eastman tom at eastman.net.nz
Mon Jul 28 18:23:56 EST 2014

Kiwi PyCon 2014 is being held in Newtown, Wellington on the weekend of
13-14 September, with four tutorials being held on Friday the 12th.

The registration is open and tickets are selling fast at:

	http://kiwi.pycon.org/

We have four excellent tutorials lined up this year.

The details can be found at:

	http://kiwi.pycon.org/tutorials/

Please note: There are only 16 places each tutorial, and last year they
were booked quickly. That's why we're announcing the tutorials *before*
booking opens so you have time to read through and decide which ones you
are interested in!

Tutorial registration will open on Wednesday the 30th of July at 8pm.

The following is the brief overview -- check the website for more details!

In the meantime: Get registering, and don't forget to book your
accommodation soon!

Python and the Pydata ecosystem for data analysis - Nicolas Fauchereau

This tutorial will present the essential libraries and workflows used to
create insights from data using Python. It will cover data ingestion and
munging, simple statistical analysis and more sophisticated statistical
modelling, as well as machine learning. It will also provide an overview
of the python visualisation stack, from Matplotlib to javascript-based
(D3) libraries.

Introduction to Web Security - Hugh Davenport

This tutorial will give attendees an introduction to Web Security. You
will learn the many types of vulnerabilities, how easy it is to make use
of a vulnerability, and most importantly how to protect against the
vulnerabilities. You'll need open mind with the willingness to learn,
and to have all that you have learnt so far burst in a bubble.

We will go into detail about the OWASP top 10 security vulnerabilities.
The focus will be on how easy it is to exploit these vulnerabilities, as
well as how easy it is to fix them. The tutorial will focus on common
issues with web applications using the Python language, and Python
frameworks such as Django, Pyramid, Flask, etc.

Dive into understanding human language with Python - Alyona Medelyan

Whenever your data is text and you need to analyze it, you are likely to
need Natural Language Processing algorithms that help make sense of
human language. They will help you answer questions like: Who is the
author of this text? What is his or her attitude? What is it about? What
facts does it mention? Do I have similar texts like this one already?
Where does it belong to?

This tutorial will cover several open-source Natural Language Processing
Python libraries such as NLTK, Gensim and TextBlob, show you how they
work and how you can use them effectively.

Assemble, Develop and Deploy Python Programs with Buildout - Róman Joost

Buildout is used to assemble, develop and deploy python programs on
different environments in a repeatable way. It uses explicit
configuration and a modular system to achieve that goal. The tutorial
will give a quick overview on how different buildout is to Python
standard tools for development. We'll walk through buildout by
developing a small sample application, use recipes in order to configure
the application and deploy it.