[Linux-aus] Grant request: Contribution to Senate voting source code FOI request review.

Daniel Jitnah djitnah at greenwareit.com.au
Wed Jul 16 12:50:46 EST 2014

On 16/07/14 12:15, Andrew Pam wrote:
> On 16/07/14 07:30, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
>> "...I am advised that publication of the software could leave the
>> voting system open to hacking or manipulation..."

The above could even also be read as saying "...we think/suspect/know
that there are security inadequacies, and if the code was released these
would become public, and this could result in hacking and manipulation
..."!!!

> If there are no procedures in place to detect any such hacking or
> manipulation, the public needs to know this so that the soundness of
> election results can be challenged in court if necessary.

Very good point!

What is clear is that whoever provided the "advice" has very antiquated
and shallow understanding of software security!!

Cheers,

Daniel.