[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Tim Serong tim at wirejunkie.com
Tue Jan 21 12:48:55 EST 2014

On 21/01/14 11:32, Peter Lawler wrote:
> On 21/01/14 11:19, Noel Butler wrote:
>> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 08:54 +1030, Michael Davies wrote:
>>

>>> If you're in a public space you can be legally photographed without
>>> your permission.  That's the law of the land.  But as a community,
>>

>> That wont wash with LCA
>> Any first year law student could argue that LCA is a "private event"
>> held in a "private venue"
>
> Except (at least) in Tasmania, where it's down to whether the public
> normally has access to the venue "whether or not by payment or
> invitation". AFAIK the general public are able to go in to University
> lecture theatres whenever their doors are open.
>
> Not so much, maybe, at dedicated commercial conference venues. Of which
> I doubt any Tasmania would be capable of hosting LCA so, at least from
> our laws, it's a bit of a moot point I'll agree...

I'd argue LCA is a public event, at least insofar as any member of the
public with sufficient means to obtain a ticket is able to attend.  And
I'd suggest that photography at events of this nature (think: stuff
going on, lots of people, whether it's a sporting event, a conference,
whatever) is generally considered a normal or acceptable activity in our
society.

That said, I'm supportive of sensible measures to try to aid people who
don't want to be photographed.  I like the coloured lanyard idea,
assuming it's actually explained to everyone :)  So if there's going to
be a privacy policy or an addendum to the code of conduct, *please* can
we ensure there is a short, short version which is obvious, easy to
understand and easy to summarize during the conference opening or
wherever else is necessary.  Possibly even easy to make obvious on the
main page of the LCA web site (right now the "Code of Conduct" link is
right down in the footer, or requires you to first hit "FAQ" in the header).

(I vastly prefer statements of principle with maybe a couple of examples
if feasible, to more lengthy policy text which will be overlooked or
ignored by some, and picked to death endlessly on mailing lists by
others.  If you have sensible statements of principle, they're short
enough to read and understand and provide sufficient leeway for
conference organizers to boot out or otherwise censure those who are
being dicks^W^W not being excellent to each other.)

Tim