[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Jan 21 12:34:55 EST 2014

On 01/21/14 11:18, Russell Stuart wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 08:28 +1300, Simon Lyall wrote:
>> My question is which of the photos above would get me in trouble if the
>> person had a "silver" lanyard? I'd like the think just the first.
>
> Unfortunately that approach doesn't work.  Much as we like people to be
> "reasonable" there is a small majority that won't be, and that applies
> to both sides of the fence.

[trimmed]

> In this case I happen to think that ensuring that people who don't want
> to be photographed aren't is the right thing to do.  It sits very well
> with our "be nice and be considerate of others" mantra, the approach of
> defining when photography is and isn't acceptable just isn't workable.
> Any such rule will be too long, too complex, have too many boundaries to
> push and besides, no one will read it.

Just playing the devil's advocate here: "I want to see photos and want
to be photographed myself, and I am next to the person who does *not*
want this".

Which one will you "be nice and be considerate of" now?

Are there more of the first kind or the second in this crowd?

Personally, I would prefer to keep this (and any other) conference as
open as possible, with a CoC disallowing abusive activity (e.g. a. and
b. of the OP). This may actually make some people avoid the conference,
but I expect some already do (I did not see any properly attired
nudist; probably none who cannot speak any English; etc.).

I agree with the idea in some postings that people can wear a clear (and
agreed) indication that they do not want to be in photos, and everyone
attempts to avoid them (in photos!) but LCA is *not* the enforcing agent.

cheers

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)