[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Daniel Bryan danbryan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 11:34:48 EST 2014

One element of the issue I'd like to highlight is the matter of what weight
is placed on the policy by conference organisers. My feeling is that the
Code of Conduct was substantially underplayed at LCA2014. IIRC there was a
slide mentioning photography, but no mention of it nor emphasis of the Code
in general.

No number of new rules will help if people aren't aware of them and
reminded of them. My feeling is that emphasising that photography is
potentially sensitive and that people should hold themselves to a high
standard in terms of gaining consent, exercising discretion, etc. would go
a long way.

I'd like to see the existing rules brought to the forefront and made
tangible; without that, we risk sliding into legalistic arguments that
really aren't the point at all.