[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Peter Lawler linux-aus at bleeter.id.au
Tue Jan 21 10:41:02 EST 2014

On 21/01/14 09:24, Michael Davies wrote:

> If you're in a public space you can be legally photographed without
> your permission.

Is LA always a public event though? Whilst this year's Penguin Dinner
was held on public land any (from my understanding) anyone could've
wandered past and the talks held on university grounds, some venues in
the past or future may not be one to which the public ordinarily has
access, whether or not by payment or invitation (eg, common rooms in Uni
dorms may be keylocked to people who only have access to that site's
dorm accommodation)

 > That's the law of the land.

You could well be talking about every other state and territory but it's
certainly not that down here in Tasmania[1]. AFAIK no case law exists as
to whether Princess Mary is due privacy if popping out to get some
nappies, but I reckon if you asked some reasonable people around the
time former NSW Transport and Roads Minister David Campbell had his 15
minutes of national fame, they probably would have said 'Yes, that is a
private matter.'[2]

I close on the note that at this time, LA has no privacy policy. At
all[3]. Unless folks are seriously suggesting "Be excellent to each
other" is it. In which case, I don't see why LA bothers having any
policy beyond that.

Cheers,

Pete.

[1] http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/tas/consol_act/poa1935140/s13a.html