[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Tue Jan 21 06:28:37 EST 2014

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Bianca Gibson wrote:
> Our code of conduct says "If someone indicates they don't wish to be
> photographed, respect that wish", but that doesn't help if you don't notice
> them taking the photo. It's not practical to be constantly watching for
> someone taking a photo.

My question is what are we trying to prevent here?

Is it:

(a) Somebody sticking a camera in somebody's face and taking multiple
close-ups when they don't want to be bothered:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/11855040993/in/set-72157639586990105

(b) Pictures of a single attendees taken from a distance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/11854994473/in/set-72157639586990105

(c) Pictures of several people taken from a distance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/11855547076/in/set-72157639586990105

(d) Medium shot of people sitting at talks, featuring dozens of
     easily-identifyable people:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/11799143773/in/set-72157639497006444

(e) More distance crowd shots where almost nobody can be easily
     identified:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/11855339904/in/set-72157639588455904

(f) A speaker giving a talk:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/11827555053/in/set-72157639530496236

My question is which of the photos above would get me in trouble if the
person had a "silver" lanyard? I'd like the think just the first.

Are we trying to prevent "Harrasment with a camera" or "X, Y and Z from
appearing in any photographs" ? If the 1st then it is already covered by
our existing regulations while I think the second case is something that
is not realistic in today's camera filled society.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.