[Linux-aus] Ways LA can foster future linux.conf.au bids

Joshua Hesketh josh at nitrotech.org
Fri Jan 17 11:14:42 EST 2014

Hey Mark,

Some great suggestions, thanks for that :-)

On 10/01/14 16:52, Mark Ellem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to thank Josh Hesketh for running a LCA bid BoF at LCA2014 today.
>
> It got me thinking about resources Linux Australia could provide to bidding teams in order to help them create and submit a bid.
>
> Some resources I can think could be provided are:
>
> *Access to previous successful and unsuccessful LCA bids on Linux Australia's Website, confidential info redacted of course. Other LA run conferences bid documents can be included too.

We email these to interested teams on request (along with example
budgets). They are also in our mailing list archives as bids are
generally publicly viewable.

> *Access to archives of previous LCA team mailing list threads, with anything that cannot be publically released redacted.

There is far too much mail to go through to see what needs redacting. I
don't think this is feasible to be perfectly honest. Additionally it
would take a lot of effort to read through all of it to find value.

> *The ability for a bid team to create a wiki on Linux Australia's servers for info sharing between bid members.
The wiki is open for editing ;-)

> *The ability for a bid team to create a mailing list on Linux Australia's servers for bid discussion.

I think until the bid is accepted it isn't difficult to handle this
within your own team. It also shows a degree of competence coming from
the bid.

> *An online inventory of Linux Australia equipment for the use of successful conferences so they can get an idea of what they need to buy/hire.

This is a very good idea. I will encourage Perth to upload their
inventory publicly. However we actually don't have many assets in
general as hiring has tended to be as cost effective as shipping.

> *Documentation publically available on Linux Australia's website in relation to various LA conference bid processes for bidding teams.

That information is on our wiki :-)

Cheers,
Josh