[Linux-aus] Online Australian passport applications

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Mon Jan 13 16:35:34 EST 2014

> I regret looking...
>
> https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.passports.gov.au&s=203.39.89.146
> https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=passports.gov.au&s=203.39.89.153&ignoreMismatch=on
>
> Now taking up drinking in a very big way. If anyone can find a reason
> why I should stop, please call me ASAP.

Funnily enough I e-mailed passports.australia at dfat.gov.au yesterday to
ask whether there is any way to get an e-mail notification when your
passport is used to cross a border, so you can do something about it if
someone has made a counterfeit version of your passport.  Since quite a
few places have copies of my passport for identification purposes it
wouldn't surprise me if a copy leaked out sooner or later.

I got a response this morning that said that unless your physical
passport has been lost or stolen, it can't be cancelled, and if you
suspect identity theft you have renew the passport early and pay the
$244 renewal fee yourself.

I guess they're not really that worried about identity theft?

Cheers,
Adam.