[Linux-aus] Should I feel sorry for Queenslanders?!

Peter Lawler linux-aus at bleeter.id.au
Fri Jan 3 15:11:56 EST 2014

On 03/01/14 13:26, Daniel Jitnah wrote:

> On 03/01/14 12:59, Russell Coker wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Jan 2014, Terry Dawson <tjd at animats.net> wrote:
>>> That being said, 'Information and Software Technology' in Year 9 last
>>> year introduced Pascal, by way of Borland Turbo Pascal (free, but not
>>> Free) as a programming language. A little weird but pragmatic. I'm not
>>> quite sure why they aren't using Python, but I could entertain guesses.
>>
>> The Borland "Turbo" family of development environments was really good for
>> learning.  They were fast, easy to use, and everything was integrated with a
>> default installation that made things just work.
>>
>> Do we have a Linux development environment that comes out of the box with an
>> editor that has a function-key to compile and run?
>
> Lazarus is as close as you'd get to Borland Pascal/Delphi. Probably a
> bit more than the original Borland Turbo Pascal version 3, but does have
> "a function-key to compile and run" = F9

I ran in to an ANU Lecturer type down here in Tassie who was very fond
of the idea of using Eiffel for instruction. Don't know if they ever got
the chance to but at the time I found it (after some discussion) pretty
hard to argue against their reasoning, though now I can't recall what it
was.

Pete.

(For those following my current spate of bad puns on LCA2014 Chat list
and are wondering: Yes)