[Linux-aus] Victorian Dept of Justice telling public to download Open Office

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Sat Aug 9 15:40:45 EST 2014

Further: Turnitin now takes ODT. And there's a Zotero plugin for LibreOffice, making citation management pretty straightforward. So there's no great reason not to use LibreOffice for uni assignments.

Gnumeric is also good value: it's the simplest way to create science-acceptable graphs I've seen. You can pull the resulting SVG into Inkscape if you want to enhance the graph further before putting the SVG into the LibreOffice document.

I'd still use LaTeX for a book-length "hard science" work, but that's more related to LibreOffice's poor control of object placement, which is not something you want to adjust manually in a large work.

-glen