[Linux-aus] Fwd: Post in ZDnet re: Heartbleed

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 23:07:50 EST 2014

Appologies all...forgot the list!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brent Wallis <brent.wallis at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Post in ZDnet re: Heartbleed
To: Kathy Reid <kathy at kathyreid.id.au>

Hey Kathy,
Interesting article...tks.
but...
..can we ignore though the community derision of the management of OpenSSL?
A simple search throws up much derisive comment about the maintainers....a
lot from within the community.

Lets face it, this is a serious issue... The CloudFlare challenge has shown
that private key capture is very possible...and quite honestly, the
revocation/reissue resource requirement alone may end up reflecting badly
due to the "someone needs to be blamed" syndrome in such circumstances.

Revocation and reallocation of certs will take weeks.....perhaps we have
not seen the end of it on front pages of newspapers?

BW

PS: I have also experienced the first ever XKCD post that I did not have a
chuckle at beyond 3 seconds...has to be the most "to the point" info on
this anywhere:
http://xkcd.com/1354/

PPS: Who is to say that closed source SSL implements have not copied
OpenSSL?... At least we know the threat....