[Linux-aus] Programs for education

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Thu Oct 31 16:57:02 EST 2013

Hi Jackson,

On 31/10/13 13:48, Jackson Doak wrote:
>  >What are you working on as a contributor? (roles, activities)
> I started of as an iso tester, now i'm a maintainer for one of our main
> testing tools, have packaged a large number of packages for ubuntu and
> debian, general developement and support, was head of testing for
> xubuntu for 3 months, and have been an ubuntu member since may.

Wow. Thats awesome.

>  >What started you on the path to contributing for ubuntu?
> I used xubuntu on my laptop, an out of boredom, i decided to look into
> how to contribute.

I think that if LinuxAus and the wider community as a whole, wants to
attract more people, women included, we need to understand the
motivations that have brought us here. Also how those motivations evolve
over time.

>  >Where do you see this contribution taking you?
> I'd like to get a job at cononical one day, plus i've learnt a lot about
> coding and QA best practices, which will help anywhere in the it
> industry. My ideal job would either be IT (any form) or working in the
> air force.

Interesting choices =)

>  >Did you have any mentors or role models?
> A number of people have helped me learn all this. The closest thing to a
> mentor would be phill whiteside, who was head of QA for lubuntu until a
> few months ago.

The older we get, the harder it is to compose a list of all the people
that helped us walk this path...

> Are there any other questions needed?

Always, but it is a start. Thanks for you thoughts.

regards,

Kim