[Linux-aus] Special support for women

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Oct 30 12:22:20 EST 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:46:37 Jessica Smith wrote:
> And I'm not convinced that labelling David a troll is even appropriate.
> Trolls state positions that they don't believe just for the lulz. If
> someone's posting opinions that they actually hold (even if they try to
> present it as a "devil's advocate" position), they're not trolling, they're
> stating their beliefs. Calling that trolling is both incorrect and giving
> an undeserved free pass.

There are a number of definitions of the word "troll".  The original definition
was someone who asked questions to trick other users.  A fairly common modern
definition covers all manner of hostile activity (including death threats).
Also it's not uncommon for a dissenting opinion to be considered trolling,
whether stating a dissenting opinion can reasonably considered trolling
depends on how it's stated, if someone keeps stating it regularly without any
good coming of such discussions then it can meet the other two definitions of
trolling.

It seems reasonably common for undiagnosed Autistic people to be labelled as
trolls because they persistently state a case that is widely unpopular and
don't understand the negative effects of their discussion.

http://doc.coker.com.au/aspie/asd-self-diagnosis-tests/

Any members of this list who can't understand why people keep thinking that
they are trolls could probably benefit from reading the above URL.