[Linux-aus] grr

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Tue Oct 22 10:55:25 EST 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Ian <ilox11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Getting back to the point of Robyn's initial posting... there has always
> been a behind-the-scenes availability to request a waiver or discount of
> costs for those that make application and can provide backup documentation
> to their request for support. Unfortunately this can be seen by the person
> with a disability or poor financial situation as requiring a begging letter
> and in some cases the divulging of sensitive information to a volunteer
> committee of people who may not have the training and background to
> properly assess the degree of support required.
>
> Clear statements on the web pages would alleviate this to some extent and
> minimise the paper chase aspect for an already overwhelmed committee trying
> to put on a best practise conference.

And I think we need to remember that LCA is a volunteer run conference,
where a different team runs the conference each year, and one which is
_extremely_ low-priced already. It would not be fair to assume:

1) All registration classes make a profit,
2) Any malice by LA towards any demographic group,
3) Any malice by current or previous LCA organisers towards any demographic
group.

It's my belief that the number of complaints towards LCA is a reason why we
only see limited bids to organise LCA in future years.

Note: Patches for Zookeepr welcome.
Michael Davies   michael at the-davies.net