[Linux-aus] Disability Liaison Officer for LCA 2014 and other LA-assisted events

Ian ilox11 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 10:12:20 EST 2013

On 22 October 2013 09:28, Chris Neugebauer <chrisjrn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Perhaps this is ripe picking for creating an LA subcommittee -- making
> it a subcommittee would make the services/expertise available to every
> LA conference (PyCon AU would benefit here, I'm sure). It would also
> provide continuity from year to year.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --Chris

Chris GMTA! I was just thinking of that as I read Mary's insightful post on
the resources already available on the topic.

That is why I added the extension to the title so this topic can cover any
of the projects that LA assists in the future, such as PyCon.

Some of the people that I met at Canberra had significant but not
immediately noticeable disabilities and access problems. The picture just
popped in my mind of the very early breakfast meeting in the art or museum
place and the mounds of food were difficult for the wheelchair participants
to access and make their own choices instead of relying on others to pass
things to them.

For an Organising Committee assisting the range of needs might be difficult
without background knowledge and experience.

An LA sub-committee of people with disability support/awareness experience
could be an invaluable assist to an Organising Committee, LCA, PyCon or
otherwise.

A member of the sub-Committee might also be in a position to volunteer
their direct attendance and support to the event to be able to provide
advice on the spot when things don't go as planned.

Ian