[Linux-aus] [luv-talk] Should I feel sorry for Queenslanders?!

David Lyon david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Sun Nov 24 19:34:08 EST 2013

On 2013-11-23 12:00, Russell Coker wrote:

> In the modern corporatist environment doing everything legally means
> changing
> the legal system to get the result that they desire.  This is against
> the
> interests of the citizens and the country in general.

Western Democracies, including Australia have ways that people and
corporations can effect change. Even changing laws to suit particular
interest groups.

What I mean is that if it's deemed so necessary for there to be an
opposing voice then Linux Australia can do what any corporate can do and
register individuals on the Australian Lobbyists Register. They can then
approach Governments and people within the same circles that corporates
are active in and voice their opinions in a convincing manner just the
same.

Doing this takes time and money. One has to ask 'Is it worth it?'.

I'm just describing that if change is really, really wanted, then there
are legal ways that this can be done. The same laws that govern any
large software vendor are equally accessible to the Open-Source
community.

So I don't see that Open-Source or Linux-Australia is at any great
disadvantage democratically to the corporates.

Just giving the positive outlook and pointing out that laws are only
changed by interest groups that ask/demand-it.

Regards

David