[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 19 Nov 2013

Linux Australia Secretary secretary at linux.org.au
Sun Nov 24 16:18:55 EST 2013

Hi everyone,
Minutes for your reviewing pleasure. As always comments and questions 
warmly welcomed.
Best, K.


Council Minutes Tuesday 19th November 2013

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Meeting opened 1945hrs

Present: Mr Joshua Hesketh, Mr Hugh Blemings, Ms Kathy Reid, Mr Clinton 
Roy, Ms Bianca Gibson

Apologies: Mr Josh Stewart, Mr Francois Marier

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata.
MOTION by Bianca that previous minutes are correct when TIm Ansell's 
note is taken into consideration. SECONDED by Hugh, passed unanimously

Correction to minutes by TIM ANSELL was noted regarding the WordPress grant;


    Chris, Slivia and Tennessee all suggested that it be used for
    multiple groups.


    Tim suggested that Arron use a different set of equipment to get
    better video recordings.

2. Log of correspondence


    In the period since 5 November, 4 additional members have joined
    Linux Australia. Around 6 membershipshave been cancelled by member
    request, largely as a result of the Member Survey. Membership now
    stands at 3031 according to MemberDB.


    Elections - Elections opened on 3rd November and nominations and
    seconds are in progress. CHRIS NEUGEBAUER picked up an issue with
    the number of open positions for Council Members which Kathy tried
    to fix, but which has broken the dates on the election.
    UPDATE: Josh Hesketh fixed the issue, noted with thanks Chris
    identifying the issue


    Rusty Wrench - nominations are coming in
    Discussion around how to organise it.
    ACTION: Bianca to get in contact with Donna regarding getting the
    Rusty Wrench award and also to get in contact regarding presentation
    of the award at LCA2014.


    List moderation
    Hugh has done a large amount of thinking about policy and processes
    for when the mailing list requires moderation. It was also noted
    that TENNESSEE LEEUWENBERG sent some very constructive feedback to
    Council. Council notes Tennessee's suggestions and will take them
    into consideration.
    ACTION: All to consider for discussion at next meeting


    StixCampGembrook - report received from BEN DECHRAI
    Report noted with thanks, no further action required.


    AUIGF - statement from PAUL SZYNDLER re how our contribution helped
    an underrepresented group attend.
    Noted with thanks, no further action required.


    Economic activity statement from ABS - JOSH HESKETH called ABS to
    get an extension. To note that this activity took up a lot of time,
    might need to plan more for it next year.


    Linux Australia Member Survey- As at 4 November, there were 562
    completed questionnaires, with an expected 575 to be completed by
    end of the survey period. This represents a response rate of nearly
    20%. A report is expected from ACSPRI late November / early December.
    NO ACTION required, for noting only


    ACSPRI grant application- KATHY REID has been working with DR BETSY
    BLUNSDEN from ACSPRI around what might work in terms of a grant request
    NO ACTION required, for noting only


    Payment of Pycon US sponsorship invoice
    Checking where this is at, CHRIS NEUGEBAUER was chasing on list

PAID by Francois and Josh H.


    Pycon US announcement
    ACTION: Clinton to respond to Chris, the communication is ready to go


    Linux Australia to become a signatory to the non-aggression patent
    Discussion around whether or not there is value in LA participating
    in the OIN. Further discussion to be had and a decision made on this
    in the next meeting.
    ACTION:Clinton to forward some LWN links on the OIN to the committee
    for background reading.
    UPDATE: Shane has chased with Kathy for an update
    Discussion around whether we need legal advice
    ACTION: Clinton to seek legal information from contacts in the community


    Rails Girls Brisbaneevent funding from ROBERT FELDMAN
    This was supposed to have been on the agenda for 5 November, Kathy
    missed it. Robert has advised that Bank of Queensland has
    significantly funded Rails Girls. Kathy has responded.
    Clinton advised that he attended and that there is a strong
    relationship between LA and Rails Girls.
    No further action required

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before 

ACTION: Josh Hesketh to follow up calls for participation for Webteam
Noted, to come off minutes and recommend next Council follow it up.

ACTION:Funds for the Malcolm Treddinick memorial to be arranged
DEFERRED for discussion with Francois.

4. Items for discussion


        LCA2014 update
        Going well


        Regional Delegates' Programme
        25th November deadline, judging panel has been appointed.


        LCA2015 bid submission update
        Under control


        LCA2016 bid submission update
        Under control


        Drupal South


        Drupal Gov
        ACTION: Josh Hesketh to contact LEANNE SHORB for post event wrap-up
        (Leanne to send update once invoices paid)


        Joomla Day Sydney
        ACTION: Josh Hesketh to follow up to see how they went


        Open Food Web


        WordCamp Melbourne - Dee Teal did provide Kathy an update, Kathy
        missed it and has resent it to Council.


        Discussion around conference selection and continuation
        subcommittee (re OSDC exec etc).
        Discussion around the best way to handle this


        Remaining teleconf meetings for the year
        Josh Hesketh can't make next one. 17th and 31st December are
        next dates. 17th December is sensible, but 31st December will be
        difficult for people. Thursday 2nd might be good for people.
        DEFER until closer to the dates in question

5. Items for noting

6. Other business

Malcolm Treddinick memorial prize


7. In camera

Three matters were discussed in camera.

Meeting closed at 2059hrs

Kathy Reid
Linux Australia

secretary at linux.org.au

Linux Australia Inc
GPO Box 4788
Sydney NSW 2001

ABN 56 987 117 479

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/attachments/20131124/17c31767/attachment-0001.htm 

More information about the linux-aus mailing list