[Linux-aus] Dual-booting Win*/*nix with UTC BIOS Clock

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Mon Nov 18 17:31:19 EST 2013

On 17/11/13 01:12, Peter Lawler wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has some super cute hacks laying around that
> 'helps' with the situation as per SUBJECT.
>
> Last time I looked, I recall MS had decided on insisting system clocks
> be in local time. It certainly explains why Win* boots in one time zone,
> the same as it logs in as, but then flips '($X*$Y) / ($moon phase^2)'
> seconds after loading the desktop.
>
> If it weren't for email timestamps being a mess I wouldn't really
> bother. The machine is just used for tests of builds. But it annoys me
> no end every single day and I try to put it out of my mind but nooooo....

In the past I've run VMs of various systems, the simplest and most
reliable if a little hacky way is to boot up, force a reset of the clock.

Once the network is up, have an init script to run ntpdate for force the
clock to be up to date with the network NTP server. Then cron it to run
every half an hour. Dealt with the nasty drift we had in our VM
environment and gets around ticking/tickless kernel dramas some years
ago. So what if we magically gain five minutes every half an hour?

I don't recommend running NTPd and cron'ing NTPDate together. One or
t'other ;)

Anyhow, I'm sure this can be scripted and scheduled on windwos too.
Doco I've been referred to for NTP on windows, not actually used it myself;
   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html
   http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringNTP

regards,

Kim