[Linux-aus] sponsorship to finish a PC

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Nov 16 14:12:54 EST 2013

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 13:53:43 Jackson Doak wrote:
> Would it be worthwhile asking for a linux australia grant to finish the
> base part of my VM server? I am partially finished and only need a PSU and
> a motherboard to be able to use the PC (more hardware mods later though).

What type of hardware do you need?

Lots of great hardware is available for free.  This morning I was at an e-
waste place and saw some Lenovo PCs that were ready for recycling.  I grabbed
the RAM from a couple of systems that each had 2*2G DDR2-800 DIMMs.

I often offer old PCs at LUV meetings.  But I haven't been doing that much
recently due to lack of interest.  Dual-core 64bit systems that are fully
functional don't seem to get much interest nowadays.

If you want a PSU and CPU+motherboard in a fully working white-box system and
can collect from Melbourne then I can give you something.  Probably an i5 or
i7.