[Linux-aus] Programs for education

David Lyon david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Mon Nov 4 22:16:36 EST 2013

On 2013-11-02 22:44, Greg Cockburn wrote:
> This is where we fall down, we don't teach *computers*, we teach
> Enterprise Applications.

Oh - I thought these days all the kids got to learn is facebook :-)

I'm seriously not claiming that. Actually I think the education system
is satisfactory for the most part. Some parts of it even rate as
extremely good. What we lack in Australia is any vision of having a
local computer industry as such. In Germany when I was living there I
noticed it was much easier it was for people to jump from education into
Industry and the same seemed true in the US and in Japan far more than
here.

A lot is being talked about bringing the standard of education up to
the levels of Taiwan, China, Japan, UK, Germany, France, USA etc but to
me it seems like a bridge too far.

> Hopefully later in the syllabus they teach the fundamentals, the same
> as is for
> Mathematics (I went to school in NZ, so can only speak of it there,
> plus it was 16 odd years ago).

Not really. Nothing is taught in Australia to my knowledge about things
like Injection-Moulding, plastics, and metal pressing. All the basics
without such it's impossible to make whole computers if you don't know.

They do teach motherboard assembly and preloading operating systems at
University level. It's possible to pick up some Linux experience there.

Regards

David