[Linux-aus] Programs for education

Greg Cockburn gergnz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 07:12:54 EST 2013

My interest lies in how to get my sons interested in the *right* side of
the computer.  I grew up building stuff, and since we weren't 'well' off, I
had to scrounge and beg and borrow to build up my first C64, and it was a
few years before I got a x86 and I wasn't introduced to Linux for another
few years :-(

Sorry but I must keep probing to understand what made you decide these
things.  Why did you decide to volunteer, and what got you to volunteer
with old computers.  What parts have your parents or close relatives,
family friends, etc had a part in this?  (for me my Std 4 [about 10]
teacher brought his C64 in from home, I was hooked).

You say you didn't have the money for Windows, while I know it isn't
legitimate, I am interested into why you didn't *borrow* a copy from a
friend or something.  Why Ubuntu, where did you hear about Ubuntu?

Thanks for answering the questions, it is a really interesting discussion.