[Linux-aus] Linux Australia needs your help!

Joshua Hesketh josh at nitrotech.org
Wed May 15 22:28:03 EST 2013

Linux Australia is a community and volunteer-run organisation. We
value[0] open technology, community, freedom, respect and diversity. In
addition to the dedicated volunteers who help run events there are many
skilled people behind the scenes hacking on, improving and working with
infrastructure and policies.

/We need your help. /

To maintain the robust presence and variety of activities in which Linux
Australia has an involvement, we're calling for volunteers.

=== How does volunteering with Linux Australia help you? ===

There are a number of benefits associated with being involved with Linux
Australia.

You get to apply your skills to a new field, and grow your existing
skill base. This can be of benefit if you're looking to build experience
to put on your resume, or if you're getting a little bored at work. The
Council and volunteers running Subcommittees often endorse volunteers
through mechanisms such as LinkedIn, or provide referrals - so
volunteering with Linux Australia can be a career building move.

You get to meet and work with a variety of new people; don't be
surprised if over time many of those people become life-long friends.
We're not going to lie to you; in every organisation there are going to
be people that you clash with, but we've worked hard over the past few
years to set cultural norms that encourage positive interaction and
collaboration.

You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you've contributed to a
community of over 3000 people in Australia passionate about Linux and
Open Source.

=== What opportunities are there to get involved? ===

= Membership database =

Parallel to the web team is our membership database (memberdb). memberdb
is an open source project ( https://launchpad.net/memberdb) which needs
some updating. Primarily we would love help from a PHP hacker who could
assist in implementing three new features.

 - Having memberships automatically expire.
 - Renew memberships and executing member functions through hashed URL's.
 - A way to bulk email/mailmerge to all of our members or a subset by
status.

If this sounds like something you're able to help with we'd love to have
a chat.

= Webteam =

 - The webteam is looking for new leadership. This involves helping
manage and maintain our web services - primarily Drupal and Mediawiki.
You would ensure that patches are applied and that the websites function
as expected.

- If you enjoy writing content and structuring webpages your help could
be invaluable in ensuring our public websites are up to date. For
example, we would appreciate help adding news articles, re-arranging
menus appropriately and maintaining our historical pages.

 - We would also appreciate help from people skilled or wanting to
become skilled in Google Analytics to help ensure that website content
decisions are data driven.

= Media team =

A call for help has gone out previously for this committee. If you think
you'd like to help be an editor on our newsletter, assist with PR or
deal with other media related enquires please shoot an email to
media at lists.linux.org.au.

= Admin and/or mirror team =
The admin team maintain all of our server and network infrastructure. If
sysadmining is your thing and you have an evening a week or so to spare
helping out please shoot admin at linux.org.au or
mirroring at lists.linux.org.au an email.

= Other assistance =

It is our members that do cool things so if you think you have a cool
idea, event, hackfest etc that aligns with our values[0] and would like
to volunteer to help out in some way, please shoot an email to
council at linux.org.au.

Happy hacking,
Linux Australia Council

[0] http://linux.org.au/values