[Linux-aus] Grant Application for Rails Girls Brisbane Event

Robert Regan Feldman robertreganfeldman at gmail.com
Mon May 6 22:09:58 EST 2013

Dear Linux Australia Council,

Nigel Rausch, whom I've been working with in organising the first Rails
Girls event in Brisbane, mentioned that it may be possible to apply for a
grant from the Linux Australia Council towards the sponsorship of this
event.

I have been working closely with Nigel and a number of others in the
Brisbane Ruby community in putting together an event that has a number of
aims, including: (a) encouraging women to participate in a workshop that
will introduce many to programming for the first time, in an open and
supportive environment; (b) promoting diversity by bringing together
programming beginners, as well as advanced female programmers, across a
wide range of demographics and socio-economic backgrounds across SEQ,
whilst being supported by experienced RoR mentors, and (c) strengthening
the Ruby community, and more generally the developer community, in
SEQ/Brisbane.

We have a number of local development businesses supporting this
initiative, plus several sponsors, one of which is Red Hat.  Red Hat are
kindly sponsoring the provision of 50 USBs which will contain a  Fedora
image of the Rails environment to assist with installs on the first evening.

The Rails Girls workshop will take place at River City Labs on 24 & 25 May.
 Link as follows:

http://railsgirls.com/brisbane

The response so far has been quite overwhelming.  We "sold out" our initial
allotment of 50 participant tickets without any real marketing push and
have released another 10 tickets in case some can't make it.  We'll have at
least 10 mentors across the weekend plus a number of other Rails Girls
guests.

As this is a non-profit event, RCL have agreed to host the event for free
and are providing food and drink on Friday night (to name just a little of
the support they've offered/provided).  We have been looking for sponsors
to support the provision of food and drink for Saturday.  So far we have a
commitment from Brisbane Marketing of $500.  We estimate that we'll need a
budget of around $1000 (looking at pizzas, snacks, alcoholic and
non-alcoholic beverages for 60-70) for Saturday.

I am therefore seeking Council's consideration to provide the balance (or
more - happy to return any unused funds).

Myself or Nigel would be more than happy to discuss the event in more
detail.

Regards,

Robert