[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Mar 25 19:33:58 EST 2013

Hi Michael,

Do we have any solid evidence of this? Clearly as
conference organisers we worry may impact the economics of running the
conference, but perhaps it servs more for the very remote (overseas)
audience? I know fromt he January streaming of TBL w ehad most viewers
outside of Australia.

The cost of streaming (versus recording) is
almost nothing (indeed, its easy to get this sponsored). The base cost
you reference is incurred to video - which I see as a continuing return
for all parties involved.

In Perth, PLUG applied for state lottery
funds to get equipment - $8K. PLUG has effectively enough equipment
itself for a one room stream - LCA each year is between 3 and 6 streams,
so we could scale and own all or some of the equipment (perhaps not
cameras, but the rest of the kit). Perhaps we should apply for federal
grants for any identified equipment (I defer to those more informed on
this possibility).

 James

On 2013-03-23 10:56, Michael Still wrote:

> I do think we need to remember that video comes at a significant
cost
> (a bunch of people from the team who could be doing other
things),
> plus hardware costs. 2013 paid over $10,000 for video camera
hire for
> example.
>
> So... I like video and streaming, but how do we
fund it if it reduces