[Linux-aus] Political Recognition for Technology in Australia - was Re: Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

Ian ilox11 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 22:39:55 EST 2013

What I find interesting with all the calculations and data about so many
households and so much take up etc is that the fibre isn't just for
householder internet. I believe that the fibre will be in greater demand by
heavy lifters wanting to shift data at real-time faster speeds. I would
imagine there are lots of industries and enterprises, even big government
departments, out there just waiting for a decent hookup so they can squirt
their data down the fibre instead of copper as they are now doing.

I have a gut feeling that data for "www" household traffic is going to be
one of the smaller usage packages compared to what the big boys will be
utilising it for. Big boys pay big rates and their commercial dollars will
fund up the NBN more than the householders will.

I don't know for sure but I suspect there are some IT folks around this
thread that could bring us up to date on the commercial (non-household)
expectations for fibre usage. Then maybe you can come up with more figures
showing why NBNCo think their profit horizon is not that far away.

--
-- Ian