[Linux-aus] Political Recognition for Technology in Australia - was Re: Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Sun Jun 30 09:06:52 EST 2013

On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 00:00 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> Where did the year 2030 come from?

I was flowing on from the previous comments:

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 17:24 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > The NBNCo's business plan also states that the company will be debt
> > free by about 2030, at which point the company will be returning
> > $2-3 billion a year directly into the Government budget.
>
> If there's $2 billion returned to the government then there will
> probably be  at least $2.5 billion in revenue.

> The 8.1 million fixed lines are due to the fact that you need one line for
> every person who's speaking at the same time, one line for every modem or fax
> machine, and phone lines at offices.

Fixed internet connections are growing at the same rate.

> Telstra have a wide range of telephony products including VOIP, 3G/4G phones
> (which are really expensive), partnerships with pay TV, and lots of other
> things.  The NBN is only doing fixed line connections.

Roughly 50% of Telstras 2012 current income comes from fixed line and
data.

> I'm quite happy with my ADSL service and I'm not going to switch to the NBN
> unless ADSL is turned off or the NBN is cheaper.  My parents and mother in law
> are happy with Optus cable and also aren't going to change unless they get a
> cheaper offer or they are compelled to change - in which case Kogan 3G might be
> the winner.

You do know you won't have a choice?  Under the current business plan
all those competing services will be shut down, so if you want to
continue to use a fixed line you will be using the NBN.  It is one of
the manoeuvres that makes the NBN business plan look so sound.  Of
course, that is with the Labor's plan.  God knows what will happen with
the Libs.

> The majority of the urban Australian population don't see any need for the
> type of net access that people on this list want and won't pay any extra for
> it.

Did you pull that little factoid from the air?  I don't see how you
could know what the majority of the urban Australian population want.  I
don't.  I do know from polling most of them say they want the NBN, but
that's not the same thing.

It current NBN plans are any guide, they won't be paying any extra for
it.  They are same price as ADSL plans.

> I attended an information session at the NBNco office a while ago, my
> recollection was that it was $24 per month for a port on the router.  They
> made no mention of different rates for different speeds.

It's not just different rates for different speeds:
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/242323,n.aspx