[Linux-aus] Political Recognition for Technology in Australia - was Re: Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Sat Jun 29 09:45:57 EST 2013

On 28/06/2013, at 4:44 PM, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jun 2013, Charles Gregory wrote:
>
> According to the (wonky) NBN web site, the NBN is expected to be
> operational here, in about 2018.
>
> I think that, by the time that the NBN is fully implemented, it will be
> obsolete and redundant.

This is just FUD. The biggest cost is the physical installation of fibre. The kit at each end of the glass can be upgraded, - to support more frequencies - as can the PCD/NTD in your home. It doesn't corrode, it doesn't attract white ants, it's not affected by water. FTTH is the best upgradable solution that you could possibly install across a whole country.

It's going to be far more upgradable that trying to squeeze 25 out of copper that struggles to support the guaranteed minimum of 1.5 today.

Michael...