[Linux-aus] Political Recognition for Technology in Australia - was Re: Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Jun 26 10:57:05 EST 2013

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Daniel Black <daniel.subs at internode.on.net> wrote:
> > The problem is that we are all significantly less represented than
> > people that fish or shoot.
>
> I'm not sure we're that under represented. In the report a number of
> individuals like Mark Newton, Bernard Keane, Stella Gray, Ian Quick and
> myself where significantly quoted in the report along with organisations
> like EFA, the Internet Society and more general legal civil liberties
> organisations.
>
> Its more that technology isn't a single issue compared to gay rights or
> farmers rights.

I don't think that farmers or GLBT people have such a single issue.  Farmers
tell me that their issues are about negotiating power vs the big supermarkets,
gun legislation, restrictions on land use, economic issues related to export
and import, and some other things.  Blogs about GLBT issues discuss many legal
problems other than the lack of marriage equality.

I'm sure that some people think that technology is a single issue.

> > Most of the technology people in Australia are told not to be overtly
> > political or commercial and I can't really understand this.
>
> I don't know where this assertion comes from either.

Within organisations such as LA there are always people saying that we
shouldn't be overtly political.  Even minor things like polling political
parties on issues of interest is described as being too political.

I think that before every federal election LA should send a list of questions
to representatives of all parties about the issues that concern us.  Then the
answers should be published.  That process makes the parties aware of the
issues that concern us and also gives members information that can be used to
help them make informed voting decisions.

Before every state election local LUGs should do the same.