[Linux-aus] Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.it.consulting at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 16:59:07 EST 2013

On 25/06/13 15:48, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Daniel Black wrote:
>

>> For all interested the committee report is published
>>
>> http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/House_of_Representatives_Committees?url=pjcis/nsl2012/report.htm

It should also be noted that the inquiry was not closed - members of the
public and or industry groups were able to make representations. Count
your blessing no matter how small. ;)

> As the proverb says, "Be Afraid - Be Very Afraid"

Um, no. Not in the Book of Proverbs, not anywhere in the "Bible".

You confuse Hollywood ("The Fly") with Judean-Christian mythology. And
easy mistake.

> Recommendations 22 and 36 provide for ASIO to force entry into anyone's
> house, breach any security on their computer(s), and, institute from
> those computers, attacks such as Denial of Service attacks, on computers
> of targets of ASIO, targets including dissidents and political parties
> that are critical of, or opposed to, the party in power at the time.

Yes. No surprise that ASIO (or the other agencies) should want this. Nor
is it "wrong" IMHO. It'd be "wrong" if the voters weren't aware of it,
and/or if it wasn't debated.

> That is just one of the effects of the sinister nature of the
> australian federal parliament.
>
> And, of course, the provisions maintain the provision for ASIO to
> conceal and deny any of its actions.

I'm sorry, but neither of those sentences make any sense to me. No, I'm
not trying to be obtuse.

> So, the australian federal parliament and ASIO, are just agents for the
> NSA, all so that the USA president and the australian federal parliament
> and the ASIO agents, can get their jollies, from reading the gossip of
> Australian schoolgirls and schoolboys, and looking at pictures that the
> schoolgirls and schoolboys, should probably not be revealing to anyone
> else, of themselves.

All of which just makes you sound, um, irrational. There are people
intentionally attempting to discredit the campaign against total
surveillance - take care you don't appear to one.

I support transparent government and the investigation only of the
guilty. I don't believe you are helping the situation - quite the reverse.

> It's all about government voyeurism, and, malignant actions involving
> computers, by governments.
>
> And, we , the public, have no-one to protect us.

We, the public, have to protect *and* educate ourselves. And ever has it
been so.... :)  (fortunately).

> "Be Afraid - Be Very Afraid"...
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

Rhetoric hyperbole, sophism, paranoia, and *lack of facts* don't advance
intelligent debate.  I appreciate that your opinions represent those of
many others - *and* that some of your fears are justified. Fear,
Uncertainty, and Denial are not the solution - they *are* the problem.

Regards, Scott