[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 20 June 2013

Linux Australia Secretary secretary at linux.org.au
Sun Jun 23 09:37:39 EST 2013

Hi everyone,
Please find below minutes of Council meeting 20 June 2013.
As always your comments, questions and feedback is warmly welcomed.
Kind regards,


Council Minutes Thursday 20 June 2013

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Meeting opened 1950hrs. Quorum was achieved.

Present: Mr Joshua 'El Presidente' Hesketh, Mr Clinton Roy, Ms Kathy 
Reid, Mr Josh Stewart

Apologies: Mr Hugh Blemings, Ms Bianca Gibson, Mr Francois Marier

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata

MOVE that the minutes from 07 June are correct
MOTION by El Presidente that minutes of 07 June are correct, SECONDED by 
Josh Stewart, carried unanimously.

2. Log of correspondence


    Membership - In the period since last meeting 07 June there have
    been 4 applications for membership of LA. These have all been
    approved. Membership stands at 2947 according to MemberDB.


    Community feedback regarding support for EFA CITIZENS NOT SUSPECTS
    campaign from a large number of community members
    Significant discussion on this topic around the range of feedback
    from the community. Responses ranged in terms of strength of support


        Comfortable supporting financially


        Support for the campaign and desire for Linux Australia to be


        General caution with Linux Australia taking a political position


        Some expression of desire for Linux Australia *to* take a
        political position

Council discussed the campaign in line with the values of Linux 
Australia, and what remit Linux Australia has in a civil liberties 
DECISION: Council decided to wait for further opinions on this matter, 
given it is not time sensitive.


    Follow up for CampJSII support from TIM OXLEY
    General support for this
    ACTION: Clinton Roy to follow up with TIM OXLEY to provide further
    information on what it would mean to run the event under the
    auspices of Linux Australia, options for sponsorship under the
    Grants programme.


    DrupalGov sponsorship proposal from CHRIS SKENE
    Francois has arranged bank account details, can now receive payment
    No further action at this time


    JoomlaDay Sydney update from TIM PLUMMER
    Final touches on website
    No further action at this time


    Note from Francois to indicate BDALE GARBEE lost his home in
    Colorado fires suggesting we reach out and make contact. Also to
    note that CHRIS NEUGEBAUER raised the same issue with Council.
    Council expressed sympathy for the Colorado fires situation, and in
    particular noted that thoughts were with Bdale Garbee, his family
    and neighbours affected by the fires. Council discussed a range of
    measures that could assist both Bdale and the wider community.
    Actions were decided upon but are held in camera as they require
    confidential follow up with Bdale.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before 


    Mail is now redirected
    ACTION Kathy to seek reimbursement from Francois


    Call for newsletter items has gone out. Discussion around volunteers
    for Media and Comms subcommittee. General agreement we should forge
    ahead, and hope that others step up into the role.

4. Items for discussion

a. Aus Government open document format
ACTION: Josh Stewart has made a start on this one. Due end of month.

b. GovHack judging
No further action, many thanks to Clinton for all his efforts
Worthwhile event, good for us to be involved again

c. Responses to call for participation and followup required

d. LCA2014 update


        Call for Miniconfs is out


        Cameron Tudball now working with conf team


        Discussion of promotion of CfP by LA


        Blog posts are good - and getting them on the Planet


        Sending the CfP to technical circles and events
        ACTION: everyone to help promote the LCA2014 CfP

e. LCA2015 bid process update


        Going well


        Gold Coast not in a position to bid


        Awaiting response from Adelaide


        Auckland progressing well


        Geelong progressing well


        Tasmania progressing well

f. Pycon AU update


        Have sold more than 2012


        All going according to plan

g. Shaun Nyquist travel request
Clinton has met with Shaun

MOTION by Clinton Roy that Linux Australia provide half of the money 
requested, being approximately $AUD1850 on the proviso that the rest of 
the funding is sourced elsewhere. SECONDED by Josh Stewart. Carried 

ACTION on Clinton to arrange invoicing with Shaun and Francois.

h. Media subcommittee and Newsletter update
Call for newsletter items has gone out, awaiting feedback

i. Drupal South
Making good progress

l. WordCamp Melb wrap up
Still awaiting Wrap up from Dee Teal - Kathy to ask for newsletter items 
and photos

5. Items for noting

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/- 121 days to go until Software 
Freedom Day

6. Other business

7. Items discussed IN CAMERA

Two items were discussed in camera and are not made public at this time.

Next meeting 4th July 1945hrs
Kathy travelling Josh Stewart will do minutes

Meeting closed 2100hrs

Kathy Reid
Linux Australia

secretary at linux.org.au

Linux Australia Inc
GPO Box 4788
Sydney NSW 2001

ABN 56 987 117 479

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/attachments/20130623/39f0aef9/attachment-0001.htm 

More information about the linux-aus mailing list