[Linux-aus] Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

David Lyon david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Fri Jun 14 10:13:20 EST 2013

On 13.06.2013 00:30, Bret Busby wrote:

> The USA NSA is an interesting example, especially with the content of
> the movie "Mercury Rising", before which, I had not heard of the USA
> NSA.
>
> And, with the activities that have been recently uncovered, with
> anyone
> who reveals the truth, being declared "an enemy of the state", and
> hunted down, wherever they may be in the world.

Ok, but there's nothing new in that. Spy agencies in Western countries
(with our country excepted) have always done that. They call it their
day
job.

Worse though, is if you live in the Middle-East. And somebody declares
your
street a war-zone.

But worse than that even, is if you live in a country and have the
right
to demonstrate. Then thousands of people turn up to demonstrate and
want
to install some new government which has at it's very core holds the
belief of *not*
allowing public demonstrations - for any reason. I could name some
countries
but won't. It's more than one.

Yes it's becoming very obvious that the cold war spying is being
brought
by governments is now against the people. But really what can be done.

Anybody that drives from Canberra/Sydney to Queensland now knows that
there's an intrusive speed camera monitoring them at least every 30
minutes.
It's no longer relaxing with that much in your face intrusion and is
nothing like the really pleasant drive through the countryside that it
used to be.

Let's face it, our Governments are taking the war to the people and
removing the power for people to even discuss such things.

Metadata tagging won't catch criminals. They already know not to use
mobile phones.

In reality, we have to understand that Governments now do want to
monitor
every word spoken, every keystroke typed, every image viewed, and they
are
so addicted that they will simply evade any effort to allow people to
have an unmonitored world.