[Linux-aus] Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Mon Jun 10 13:40:25 EST 2013

I think the greatest value is when an org like LA brings a specific,
unique viewpoint to issues like this and we should perhaps get behind
the campaign based on the extent to which it interacts with open source
development and use rather than its broader impact on citizens which is
perhaps best left to other entities.

LA needs to be able to work with a broad range of organisations and
political parties on a range of issues. I think that might be easier if
we consistently base arguments on impacts to open source users and
developers rather than being caught up in the broader debate on Internet
liberties.

While I personally object greatly to data retention which pretty much
denies the legal presumption of innocence to which we should all be
entitled I think the second and third bullet points might be the ones we
are best able to provide organisational comment on.