[Linux-aus] NBN discussion

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jul 1 00:06:33 EST 2013

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013, Russell Stuart <russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au> wrote:
> OK, maybe not that interesting.  But the amusing part of Russell Coker's
> rant was where he said "if only your home phone could redirect to your
> mobile".  Every NBN router comes with two Analogue Phone Adapters
> (ATA's), which you plug a normal phone into.  Those ATA's translate the
> analogue phone signal into SIP.  The NBN provides, for free, 150Kbs of
> bandwith for those ATA's, so as far as the NBN is concerned they carry
> the normal "land line" for free.

That is a gross misrepresentation of what I wrote.  I've quoted my previous
message below for comparison.

The current situation is that if you sign a mobile phone contract you can port
the phone number from your previous mobile phone to the new phone.  If you
sign a fixed-line contract you can port the phone number from your previous
fixed-line.  But you can't port what used to be a fixed-line number to a mobile
phone unless you use some form of SIP forwarding, which while technically
possible is a bit difficult for the typical pensioner and will require
significantly more effort and expense than just porting a number from one
provider to another.

It seems that one of the many ways of compelling people to become NBN
customers is to make the NBN the only way that most people can get a phone
number from an old fixed-line redirected to your premises.  I presume that some
VOIP companies will offer a service of porting a number and forwarding it, but
that takes extra fees to the VOIP company and some extra configuration effort so
less people will do it.

My greatest objection to the way the NBN is being run is that it's compelling
most of the population to become customers of one monopolistic corporation.
That goes against the interests of the people which Labor are supposed to
represent and against the idea of capitalist competition which Liberals
pretend to care about.