[Linux-aus] Linux, Open-Source and the young-people.

David Lyon (Hackerpads) david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Wed Jan 23 10:17:33 EST 2013

On 22.01.2013 16:50, Nathan Bailey wrote:
> David,
>  Great ideas - are you going to stand for council? I'd support you
> on a platform of a scholarship to OsCon for under 25s (?) and
> providing grants and opportunities to groups of young people in
> Rasberry Pi, Arduino and Android.

Thanks Nathan,

I'd like to stand for council if the nominations are still open.

There's lots of speaking opportunities for young Australians around
the globe to participate in. Some are fully funded for the delegate
and some not.

Here's an example of a conference in Brazil:

  - softwarelivre.org/wsl/2013

It would be nice to know how many Australians will be going to that
and how many will be giving talks.

There's better ones than that though, in Germany, Japan and USA. Still
some under 25 imho might jump 6 feet in the air if they were offered
even a partial sponsorship to give a talk in Brazil. So I believe it
should be encouraged.

There might be other Australians wishing to go to that conference too
so a pub meetup in Porto-Alegre (or Rio) might be refreshing.

If we have the young people to do things like this, I think we should
at least try.

David