[Linux-aus] Linux, Open-Source and the young-people.

Nathan Bailey nathan.bailey at monash.edu
Wed Jan 23 08:50:24 EST 2013

David,
 Great ideas - are you going to stand for council? I'd support you on a
platform of a scholarship to OsCon for under 25s (?) and providing grants
and opportunities to groups of young people in Rasberry Pi, Arduino and
Android.

On 15 January 2013 12:00, David Lyon (Hackerpads) <david.lyon at hackerpads.com
> wrote:

> On 14.01.2013 19:39, Neill Cox wrote:
>
> > .. It would be nice to see more interest in consultation and
> > consensus
> > from a presidential candidate.
>
> Also, we need more fresh idea's on what people want.
>
> For me, I think there is a chronic shortage of support for young people
> getting into IT and Linux. In Australia particularly.
>
> Operating Systems like Android and even the Apple products provide an
> easier way into Linux than we've ever had before.
>
> Expanding on my idea's before, I can't see why there can't be more
> Linux effort into even arranging coffee or a beer outside at places
> like
> cebit in Hannover and some of the Linux conferences in the States.
>
> Are we saying we have no Australians going to any major overseas
> open source conferences ?
>
> Further to that, we really need to have one grant that sends
> a young person to Open Source conference in either Europe, Japan or
> USA to do a talk on their project. That would be enhancing our national
> profile. From what I can make out, we have the money, but just don't
> use it for things like that yet.
>
> I understand that for decades we've been importing knowledge and
> we can certainly continue to do that.
>
> At the same time, I believe there's more that we can do for our
> young people to get their Linux and Open-Source projects tested
> in the real world.
>
> David

Teaching with MS Powerpoint *and* inking = slides + whiteboard = best of
both worlds. Buy a tablet or a slate and teach with maximum flexibility and
impact! See
http://its.monash.edu/staff/procurement/hardware/tablet-order.html