[Linux-aus] Thanks to retiring Council members: John Ferlito, Mike Carden, Peter Lieverdink, James Polley

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Tue Jan 22 13:49:34 EST 2013

Hi all,

I tend to catch up on this list in the archives these days and therefore am
behind the times, but I thought I would extend my thanks as a member of LA to
the Council members who have decided not to stand again. All of them have
served multiple terms for LA:

 - John Ferlito (treasurer Jan to May 2010, president May 2010–present)
 - Mike Carden (OCM 2010–11, present VP)
 - Peter Lieverdink (Secretary 2010–present)
 - James Polley (OCM October 2011–present)

I was on Council with John, Mike and Peter for the first half of 2011 (James
was my replacement as OCM; I resigned in July 2011) and all of them were very
hard-working and concerned with growing Linux Australia and its projects
(particularly but not only conferences) in a way that would serve the FOSS
community in Australia. John in particular at the time (and I have no doubt,
for most of his term) spent enough time on Linux Australia that it was
approaching a infinitely badly remunerated part-time job. I can't speak to his
time on Council, but I recommended James as one possible replacement for me on
the basis of his work transforming SLUG into an LA subcommittee, which was
already a major contribution to LA and SLUG both.

Thanks for your hard work for us John, Mike, Peter, James!

-Mary