[Linux-aus] Running for President

Joshua Hesketh josh at nitrotech.org
Tue Jan 15 22:25:53 EST 2013

Hello all,

I wish to announce my candidacy for President of Linux Australia.

Linux Australia is a community and volunteer run organisation. The
council exists to facilitate and enable its members (that is, you guys)
to do cool and amazing things. If elected, I'll be listening to members,
hearing what they have to say and working to help them contribute more
directly to Linux Australia.

In various ways I have been involved with Linux Australia and
linux.conf.au for over 5 years. I would love the opportunity to continue
serving the community as President. After 3 years as treasurer I believe
the books and finances are in a very good state - with particular thanks
to John Ferlito - and it is time for me to move out of this role and
help nurture a new treasurer.

I believe Linux Australia represents and supports Free Software, Open
Source and Open Technology communities across Australia. Over the last
few years I have helped Linux Australia reach out to the wider open
source community by formalising a subcommittee procedure to empower
volunteers and passionate members to run more FLOSS events in Australia.
I've helped organisers of these events by arranging a travel agent,
making book keeping easier, making sure funds are readily available and
easy to access, encouraging the use of external vendors where sensible
and through providing guidance and advice to teams.

However, there is still more to be done. We can further simplify and
formalise Linux Australia’s activities and procedures. To begin with, I
would like to build new teams to support our community. For example, a
media team and sponsorships team could provide advice, support and
knowledge for all our activities and events . I want to continue these
efforts as President of Linux Australia.

I also want to see Linux Australia do more. To be more engaged with
technology in Australia and to be a strong voice. I feel that there are
passionate members who, given the opportunity, will be able to help out
and I want to ensure they are empowered to do so. I am passionate about
Open Technology and I want to see increased adoption of FLOSS in the
public and private sectors. To do that, Linux Australia must continue to
nurture and support the amazing developer and user communities in the
Oceania region.

Finally, I'm keen to strengthen Linux Australia's relationships with
other organisations such as OSIA & OSDC. We should look toward working
closer together through the sharing of resources and knowledge. I've
already been speaking to people in these organisations and believe Linux
Australia can achieve more by collaborating with these and other
entities within Oceania that share our values[0]. This is something I
would like to explore as President to help grow our community.

I welcome any queries on or off list if you would like to have chat.

Cheers,
Joshua Hesketh

[0] http://linux.org.au/values