[Linux-aus] Name change election results..

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 4 14:54:31 EST 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-04 at 13:40 +1100, Brent Wallis wrote:
> Hi,

> +1
> ...and kudos to all of the committee for their integrity on the
> decision!
>

> I voted to keep the name.
> But lets not simply leave this hanging....some of the original
> arguments for a name change do have some merit.
>

> I would like to highlight and see discussed a lot more  the very
> excellent idea put forward by Jon (maddog) Hall very early on when the
> idea of a name change was first floated:
>

> "Have you thought about keeping the name but strengthening your byline
> of
>
> "Representing Free Software and Open Source Communities"?
>

> For example, you create a logo that has the Penguin feet and Linux
> Australia as you
>
> have currently, but create a circle of the words "Representing Free
> Software and Open Source Communities"
>
> and put that around the logo?"
>

> Perhaps the logo idea needs work... :-)
>

> But a strengthening of the LA byline should surely go a long way to
> addressing a significant portion of the reasons put forward for a
> change?

This, and some strategically useful registered business names would seem
to do far more than this 'change the name (and under the hood, change
the implied purpose)' stuff.  The issue with picking one new name for me
has been a matter of 'pick your fault line'.  Our community divides
along 'free software' vs 'open source', 'linux (kernel)' vs broader foss
ecosystem and 'software freedom/development' vs 'broader electronic
liberties' and in many other ways.  Picking names in so many ways puts
us in one or other camp that others find a little uncomfortable, which
is why there isn't a groundswell for a new, clear choice.

For me, Linux Australia is a sufficiently mailable term that we should
just work with it, adding tag-lines and business names where it isn't a
natural enough fit, just as (at an extreme example) linux.conf.au
manages very well at being far more than just about the kernel.

There wasn't a great groundswell of votes for some specific alternative,
nor (frankly) a great groundswell of votes at all.  We should therefore
try some lighter touches towards the genuine needs, perhaps a mission
statement if we don't have a good enough one and come back to this if it
still causes real issues.  By needs I mean ensuring the Python
conference and other subcommittees has a registered business name if
practical, and some nice wording thanking LA for backing and supporting
it to explain the Credit Card merchant name.

Andrew Bartlett