[Linux-aus] Name change election results..

Anestis Kozakis kenosti at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:50:55 EST 2013

> IMO the problem with the process was that two questions were mingled up:
> 1. should we retain the name? and
> 2. which three names do we want to vote on if we want a new name?
>
> Because of this, the existing LA name turned into one of the options of a
> "new name" rather than being a filter of whether to go for voting.
>
> I can't believe this would have been intended by the council.
>
> In the interest of fairness, I would therefore suggest to go forward with
> the second round of voting on a "new name" in which the top three (or maybe
> four) names) are set as choice, which includes "LA". This will then give a
> much fairer statement of whether the community actually does want to keep
> the old name.
>
> Otherwise we will always have the question hanging around about "what if
> the voting process had been different...".
>
> Regards,
> Silvia.

I have to agree a little with Silvia.

We all remember the fiasco with Howard's Republican referendum, where
instead of asking if people wanted Australia to be a Republic (Yes/No), a
number of questions were asked instead, effectively skewing the results in
the direction he wanted it to go in.

Not saying it was intended thus by the LA Council, but it would have been
better to ahve the first round of voting as:

Should Linux Australia change it's name?
Yes
No

If No prevailed, then nothing more needed to be done.

If Yes prevailed, then we could have moved to stage 2 in which people voted
from the list of names.

The way the voting was done, it seems to have skewed the results a little
bit in favour of no-name change by including it in the list of names.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the issue.

Whether the council will take this amended approach or not is to be seen.
 I hope they do, because it seems to be a more fair way of determine
whether Linux Australia's name is to be changed.  First, determine if there
is enough people wanting a change, then move on from there.

Anestis.
--
Anestis Kozakis | kenosti at gmail.com | http://www.akozakis.id.au/