[Linux-aus] Name change election results..

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Thu Jan 3 13:28:12 EST 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 20:48 +1100, Neill Cox wrote:
> Perhaps because the results indicate that an election would result in
> no change? Unless you expect to exclude the most popular choice?

Actually, the results don't indicate that.  I am not sure what they tell
you.

The problem arises because this is optional preferential voting.  If you
look 179 people voted, but in the final tally there were only 111 people
stated their opinion after preferences were distributed.

In other words, 68 people were eliminated because the didn't vote for
one of the top three choices.  We don't have a clue which they would
have preferred out of those top three, but notice 68 is more votes than
any of the top 3 got so the error margin is, well, "big".

The right solution to me would be to go with the original plan: run a
second election with only those top three.  Like Chris I am a bit
mystified as to why that isn't happening.