[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] Grant application: "monitoring" mailing list

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Feb 25 15:48:55 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.com> wrote:
> Would this mailing list make more sense under something like the OpenStack
> project or similar? I'm sure they would love to have better monitoring.

I don't see any particular reason this would need to be an OpenStack
project, although there is also the concept of "affiliated projects"
who get some support but not as much as a core project would.

On the other hand, monitoring is clearly important to OpenStack and
there have been some discussions about how to approach it. There's
some hesitation to bake to much into OpenStack itself though -- it
seems unlikely that people would abandon their existing monitoring
solution just because they adopted OpenStack. The focus there has been
on providing generic hooks that any monitoring system could use.

(There hasn't been enough development done on that though, if someone
was interested in a starter OpenStack dev project I'd be happy to
provide some pointers).

The best way to judge people's interest over there if you're looking
to do perhaps affiliate with OpenStack would be to send an email to
openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org.

I see no harm in LA providing a mailing list... If the project ends up
affiliating with someone later, then that's cool but not required at
this stage.

Michael