[Linux-aus] The "Crowd-Sourcing TBL" Fundraiser

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Thu Feb 7 17:47:36 EST 2013

On 7 February 2013 16:08, Joshua Hesketh <josh at nitrotech.org> wrote:
> The council has already been in discussion of this matter since it was
> first raised. We'll be announcing something very shortly, sorry for the
> delay.

With a new council in place, I'd like to suggest that decisions like
this be raised and debated in public on this list (or at least
detailed in public, so that debate and suggestions for improvements is
at least possible) rather than just reviewed by the council before a
final decision or announcement.

As per Josh's platform for president -- "Linux Australia is a
community and volunteer run organisation. The council exists to
facilitate and enable its members (that is, you guys) to do cool and
amazing things."

I don't think that philosophy has any hope of working if the council
members are in a privileged position, where their ideas get first
consideration and worse, where the council's ideas don't have to face
the same standards and challenges that members' ideas do (ie, public
scrutiny beforehand). With those habits, I don't see how we can expect
anything other than what we see: members ideas and proposals fail way
more often than the council's, they're therefore proposed less often
and with less energy behind them, and the council ends up having to do
everything...

Cheers,
aj

--