[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 3rd December

Linux Australia Secretary secretary at linux.org.au
Sun Dec 8 20:07:40 EST 2013

Council Minutes Tuesday 3rd December 2013

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Present: Mr Hugh Blemings, Mr Clinton Roy, Ms Bianca Gibson, Ms Kathy 
Reid, Mr Josh Stewart

Apologies: Mr Francois Marier, Mr Joshua Hesketh

Quorum was achieved.

Meeting opened 1945hrs

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata.

A formal motion to confirm minutes was accidentally skipped; no 
omissions or errata are assumed.

2. Log of correspondence


    There have been 9 new members approved since the last meeting.
    Membership stands at 3040 according to MemberDB.


    List moderation
    Discussion on where we're currently at with list moderation. Clinton
    provided the example of the Brisbane Hackerspace where two warnings
    are issued and then you are banned from the list. There is currently
    one formal complaint outstanding related to list moderation.
    Discussion of future moderation actions could be postponed for
    further discussion and deliberation as it requires a broad
    conversation and dialogue around policy and implications.
    DECISION: Further discussion on list moderation to be DEFERRED until
    Council 2014 (likely face to face)


    Linux Australia Member Survey- Waiting on final report.
    NO ACTION required, for noting only


    Office bearer reports- these need to be done in next couple of weeks
    for inclusion into the AGM agenda
    ACTION: Office bearers to do reports. Clinton has kindly offered to
    proof read reports.


    Payment of Pycon US sponsorship invoice- Has been confirmed by
    Can come off next minutes


    Clinton is seeking information from our legal sources.
    UPDATE: Clinton has been in contact with Kim Weatherall, who is
    currently engaged in other matters (TPP) so this has taken a back seat.
    ACTION: Kathy to correspond with Shane to advise current status.


    NOTIFICATION of awarding LCA2015 and LCA2016 and two year model
    Community has been advised, no commentary received, no further
    action at this time.


    Offer of assistance with anti Trans Pacific Partnership agreement
    activities from PAUL GARDNER-STEPHEN
    A number of people have had involvement. Bianca has offered to put
    people in touch with each other if someone else from Council would
    like to contribute and move this forward. The submission deadline is
    not set, but there is a desire to have it in by the next round of
    TPP negotiations.
    ACTION: Josh Stewart and Clinton Roy are interested in being
    involved in drafting a submission to the TPP. Bianca to provide Josh
    and Clinton with details.


    Recommendation from BRENDON SCOTT that LA request to be added to
    DFATs mailing list for TPP stakeholder briefings
    ACTION:Clinton to identify specific action required with Bianca


    Xero pricing changes:it looks like our monthly costs will go from
    $32 to $60 due to their raising their prices.
    Council NOTES the price change, this does not represent a financial
    risk at this time
    ACTION: Someone to contact Xero to see whether they will waive the


    Receipt of grant application from JACKSON DOAK $205 for hardware
    MOTION by Kathy Reid that LA approve grant request SECONDED by
    Clinton, carried unanimously. Council notes Jackson's enthusiasm and
    the quick approval of this grant request signals our support for his
    activities and is meant as encouragement.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before 

ACTION: Josh Hesketh to follow up calls for participation for Webteam

ACTION:Funds for the Malcolm Treddinick memorial to be arranged
DEFERRED for discussion with Francois.

Action items from the previous minutes:

ACTION: Bianca to get in contact with Donna regarding getting the Rusty 

4. Items for discussion


        LCA2014 update
        Travel Grants Program
        Discussion around whether we should provide Hobbyist or
        Professional tickets. Also question around increasing budget
        from current level of $10k.

        MOTION by Kathy that the budget remain at $10k and that Travel
        Grants committee has authority to allocate those funds as they
        see fit. Seconded by Josh Stewart and carried by a majority of


        LCA2015 bid submission update


        Drupal South
        Had to move venues due to earthquake damage to conference venue.
        ACTION: Josh Hesketh to follow up to ensure the event is not
        placed at risk due to damage to the conference venue.


        Drupal Gov
        ACTION: Josh Hesketh to contact LEANNE SHORB for post event wrap-up
        (Leanne to send update once invoices paid)


        Joomla Day Sydney


        Open Food Web


        WordCamp Melbourne - Dee Teal did provide Kathy an update, Kathy
        missed it and has resent it to Council.


        Discussion around conference selection and continuation
        subcommittee (re OSDC exec etc).


        Remaining teleconf meetings for the year
        DECISION we will go ahead with a teleconf on Tuesday 17th

5. Items for noting

6. Other business

Malcolm Treddinick memorial prize


7. In camera

Two matters were discussed in camera

Meeting closed at 0903hrs.

Kathy Reid
Linux Australia

secretary at linux.org.au

Linux Australia Inc
GPO Box 4788
Sydney NSW 2001

ABN 56 987 117 479

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/attachments/20131208/7e4ac527/attachment-0001.htm 

More information about the linux-aus mailing list