[Linux-aus] LUV considering joining LA

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sat Aug 24 02:41:40 EST 2013

For some strange reason - I assume that it is the email application that
was used to post the original message to which I am responding, the text
of the message to which I am responding, is withheld from being included
in this reply.

I am wondering why a state based Linux Users Group would dissolve and
reform as a subcommittee of the federal body.

It seems to me, to be more logical for state organisations to exist in
parallel with the federal body, and, independent of the federal body,
when people can be members directly of the federal body, otherwise for
people to be members of state bodies, with the state bodies thence
being affiliates of the federal body.

But, I do not see the logic in a state body dissolving and forming as a
subcommittee of a federal body.

The closest analogy that comes to mind, is the scenario of a state
government surrendering itself to the federal government, as dissolution
of the state, with the state government giving control to the federal
government.

All kinds of questions thus arise; as a single example, if the
Victorian subcommittee of Linux Australia, or, whatever it would
be named, should, some time in the future, be inclined to host a CALU,
would it be appropriate for a subcomittee of Linux Australia, to lodge a
bid to do something, competing against bodies that are not components of
Linux Australia? What then of "conflicts of interests", when a
determination is to be made, by Linux Australia, as to whether one of
its subcommittees, or, a state organisation, should be successful?

Thus do I wonder about the reasons and consequences of such a move.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."