[Linux-aus] Grant Request: Drupal Code Sprint

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sat Sep 22 09:32:43 EST 2012

On 21/09/12 10:49, Brian Gilbert - Realityloop Pty Ltd wrote:

> *Request*
> $207 - Funding for a Sydney - Melbourne return flight
> $100 - Lunch for attendees (will cover subway sandwiches and soft drinks)
>
> This flight will bring Justin Randell (https://drupal.org/user
> <https://drupal.org/user/38580>/38580 <https://drupal.org/user/38580>-
> beejeebus) to the sprint from Sydney.Justin is Australia's most active
> Drupal core contributor.

So, I think this sounds like a really good idea. I do have two questions
though:

Funding
=======

Is there a Drupal Foundation or something which should be funding this
sort of thing? Is Linux Australia the most appropriate body? In this
case the spend is low so I think its fine, but I do wonder if there are
other funding sources for this source of thing.

Encouraging stuff like this

Given I think this is a good idea, I'm interested in thoughts on how we
can encourage this sort of event. Specifically, LCA2013 has cleared the
Wednesday evening of the conference by moving the PDNS with the specific
intent of trying to encourage this sort of BOF / hackfest / social
coding event. If we provided the space, how do we encourage people to
propose something like this?

Cheers,
Mikal